[LAU] getting LFE channel to work with PulseAudio 5.1

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Dec 2 13:13:46 UTC 2017

john gibby <johnalan.gibby at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All.  I am just reading the responses, and I am going to study them
> after sending this email.  But I want to share this - I got it work.  Got
> up at 4:30am, just  now got it working.  I don't really understand
> completely what I've done, but here it is.  Maybe y'all can help me better
> understand why all this works.
>
> BTW, I apologize that my email last night was unpleasant; I was really
> upset, but should have moderated the email better.  And - maybe I will
> consider getting rid of PA, but the thing is, it "comes with" AV Linux and
> so it was more convenient for me to try and live with it.  As for using a
> Mac for all this; had never thought of that.  Interesting idea.  (Can one
> purchase and load MAC OS on my tower PC?)
>
> What I did:
>
> 1.  Turned off "autospawn" in PA client.conf.  I don't know yet if I need
> to implement a way to make this temporary.

I find that a good choice on a computer used for serious audio work.
It's sometimes inconvenient when you forgot to start it in time (like
having to kill and restart applications that chose to grab ALSA
exclusively instead) but it's good _not_ to have to worry about it
restarting when actually doing DAW/audio work.

--
David Kastrup