[LAU] Default (instrument plugins) tuning frequency

Yassin Philip philcm at gnu.org
Mon Jan 2 11:31:51 UTC 2017

On 02/01/17 11:02, Jeanette C. wrote:
> Jan 2 2017, Yassin Philip has written:
>> Is there such thing as a default tuning "norm" or (most probably)
>> does every plugin do what it wants to do?
> The default or standard tuning for typical western musical instruments
> is at 440Hz. There are variations, when it comes to concert pitch. I
> believe that the Americans sometimes choose 441 or 442Hz. But every
> hardware synth - that I know of - is tuned to 440Hz with a well-tempered
> scale.
That was the answer I wanted, thanks!! :)

> If your scale is well-tempered one Hertz shouldn't matter much though,
> unless
> at very low frequencies.
Huh. I beg to differ ; specially on the high strings, my guitars and
bass have to be tuned accordingly. Let me rephrase that: If I get
everything tuned, all harmonics OK, flashing strobe lights aligning and
all, on this guitar, and then, on the tuner (GXTuner on the master bus)
change from 440 to 441, it *does* matter much. Both perceivably (it's
somehow worse that being plain out of tune) and visually, on the tuner's
display.

--
Yassin Philip - New album out NOW
http://yassinphilip.bitbucket.org