[LAU] [Music] Three Desolations

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Jan 16 22:45:16 UTC 2017

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 21:52:52 +0100 (CET)
"Jeanette C." <julien at mail.upb.de> wrote:

> Jan 16 2017, Dave Phillips has written:
> > https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/three-desolations
> Hey Dave,
> this will be purely about your music and not the way that it is
> provided. :)
>
> I loved some passages very much. I'm afraid my attraction to that
> slightly off-kilter composition is very selective and completely
> unreasonable. In the first section there were a few passages which
> sounded gratingly sequenced. Somehow mechanical and static. Seeing
> that this impression changed over the piece, I assume that this was
> done by design. Though especially that same section held a few
> passages which really touched a chord somewhere. :) The dark,
> unpretentious mood of all three pieces sits very well with me.

Indeed it depends very well on the intent.  It's easy to compare with
the originals as they are found easily on youtube.  Since the intent is
at play and since one of the goal could have been to make it sound
like it does (if that makes sense) one could perhaps venture
nevertheless that the blending of sounds is on the scarce side.  That
is, if compared with a human playing the same, on a real piano.  Perhaps
like not using the sustain pedal much.  Sounds seems to be clear-cut. Is
this kind of criticism valid ?  I don't know.