[LAU] The Future 1 (the web)

Kees van Veen kees.vanveen at gmail.com
Tue May 23 09:42:19 UTC 2017

On 23-05-17 10:30, Bill Purvis wrote:
> On 22/05/17 21:48, Johannes Kroll wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 May 2017 18:30:27 +0200
>> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was commenting only on the visuals.
>>>
>>> I have no enthusiasm or interest in "DAW-as-service".
>> Ok, decoupling the UI for a free DAW via OSC makes more sense. I tried
>> clicking together a simple GUI with open-stage-control for some code I
>> wrote in extempore. It seemed too sluggish for my taste. Not sure if
>> it is a browser issue (I tried Chrome and Firefox) or an issue with
>> open-stage-control, or an issue with browser-/javascript-based things
>> in general. It would be nice to be able to create browser-based GUIs on
>> the fly if the resulting UI would feel less sluggish.
> I've been using the GUI interface to a Soundcraft Ui16 mixer - the
> response
> seems quite adequate, so it should be feasible for a DAW. The browser is
> Firefox on an old laptop running Linux Mint 17. Ethernet wired connection
> to the mixer. I occasionally use an Android tablet over WiFi to it using
> Chrome, again response seems quite adequate for a GUI. I haven't looked
> into the code yet...

I have Soundcraft UI16 too, and see a websocket+JS updating the browser
DOM (see also Soundcraft's demo page
http://www.soundcraft.com/ui-demo/mixer.html) .

Note however that there is no sound travelling, just GUI updates, so you
don't actually hear what's going on, just see it (and control it).

Cheers,
Kees