[LAU] Control iPad synth

Christopher Arndt chris at chrisarndt.de
Wed Nov 1 22:31:33 UTC 2017

Am 01.11.2017 um 23:20 schrieb Oliver Heck:
> Unfortunately the A&H mixer works as audio interface but does not offer
> MIDI, so I would need two MIDI interfaces and connect both via MIDI cables.

Yes, you would need those in any case, either separately or as part of
an audio interface.

>> https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Synthesizer-Microphone-Instrument-Converter/dp/B00D3QFHN8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8
>>

> Will this cheap interface work as "MIDI card" under Linux?

Yes, but really cheap ones like the one I linked often garble longer
sysex messages, but they work ok for normal, non-sysex messages.

> Another idea: the iPad also has something called Network MIDI via WiFi.
> Is that the same thing as rtpMIDI?

Yes, but no ;)

It is Apple's "embrace-and-extend" version of RTP-MIDI, for which there
is no known Linux implementation, unfortunately (nor much technical
documentation).

> I found some sources in the internet but did not quite understand
> how to set this up.

Because to my knowledge it isn't possible (yet). There are standards
compliant RTP-MIDI implementations for Linux, but they don't implement
the session establishing protocol, which Apple bolted on, and without
this, they are rather useless.

> Is there something like that for Linux?

Yes, but no ;)

There are solutions for sending/receiving MIDI over the network for
Linux, but none of them interoperate with the so-called "Apple network
MIDI".

There is an Apple-compatible implementation/driver for Windows and a
library for Android, but both are not Open Source.

This is my knowledge from how matters stood a few years back. AFAIK
nothing has changed materially in this regard, but if I'm wrong, I would
be happily corrected.

Chris