[LAU] [Music] Spring Theme

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun Apr 8 04:25:03 CEST 2018

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 11:38:48 +1000
Roger <gurusonic at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/spring-theme

> Pleasant track but I agree with Yassin's comments, not your best. I
> still love Jam12.
> The synth solo from 2:04 I don't like at all soundwise. I'd prefer
> more acoustic lead there instead similar to the later section. And
> imagine replacing the electric piano with a beautiful grand piano.
> Mmmm! Your mixing has improved markedly since you started, really
> nice balance and tones with warmth and everything in it's place
> without masking other parts. I'm a huge Mixbus fan as well.

I agree with all comments so far.  It's certainly not the best.  I got
into that one as a mixing exercise.  It took a long time to finish.  It
started out as jam196 and was at the mixing stage for a long time.
Things were removed, things were added.  The guitar at the end part was
added recently.

As a musical creation it does not have the inviting groove, the warm
tones, or even the strangeness; it does not have what it takes to make
an artistic statement of some sort, to bridge to the listener.  It rides
on the surface. I do like the way it ends, though.  I also like the
grittiness of some theme synths before the solo.  However as a mixing
project it's something else.  Lots of technical details, it was a good
experience to learn some more.

jam12 has become mystifying for me.  As if somebody else made it.  How
can I take the time today to have so much space in the groove, so much
leeway between the notes while still retaining the essence ?
Everything seems so much more compressed.  OTOH I do have a lot of
sketches that can be developed and some of them do have a bit of the
same feeling of space.

Hopefully I will not do too many of those pieces in which there's so
much work and not enough play :)

Thanks again for the comments,

Cheers.