[LAU] Looking for AMD motherboard with PCI slot

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jan 6 05:59:39 UTC 2018

On 01/05/2018 05:16 PM, Ivan K wrote:
> After 10 years with my ASUS M2N-E motherboard
> and my AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 2.5 Ghz, I feel the
> need to upgrade.
>
> In the past, I have preferred AMD processors as they
> are just less expensive than Intel, and my preference
> existed before the meltdown/spectre flaws of recent
> news.
>
> I would like to continue to use my  M-Audio 2496
> PCI card, hence the need for a PCI slot.
>
> -----
> I did follow the "Christmas present for self"
> thread on this list.
> -----
>
> The two motherboards I am considering both have the
> AM4 socket, that is, they accommodate the AMD RYZEN
> processor.  Those motherboards:
>

> (1) ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS MB
> https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B350-PLUS/specifications/
>
> It does have integrated graphics processor, though.  Does anyone
> have an opinion about the onboard AMD Radeon R Series Graphics ?
>

> (2) Gigabyte GA-A320-DS3
> https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-A320-DS3-rev-10#kf
>
> This one also has integrated graphics, which is called
> "2-Way CrossFire™ Multi-Graphics Support"
>
> I suppose if the onboard graphics do not work out I
> could go with a PCI-express graphics card.

Sounds good to me.

I used to have an AudioPhile 24/96 and do miss it!

I have an ASUS motherboard here, with an Intel processor on it, and
think it has the best BIOS of the 4 different computers I have here. MY
wife's laptop is an ASUS, also with a very fine BIOS.

Have had Radeon graphics before, preferred it to NVidia. But I'm no
gamer, so as long as it can display, I'm ok.

> And then, for a processor, I was thinking of going with
> the AMD RYZEN 3 1200 4-Core 3.1 GHz.
> Yes, it is is not as fast and has fewer cores
> than RYZEN 7, but it is only $110 US.  For $220 US,
> I could go with a RYZEN 5 six core though.
>
> Has anybody any opinions on this hardware?

Well, I make large panoramas on my systems, too, so I'd go for a Ryzen
7. Hey, I'd even go for a Threadripper or top-end Intel chip. But I'm
weird. I think they'd be overkill for audio work.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community