[LAU] How to automatically start zita-j2a/a2j with jack?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jul 9 18:35:09 CEST 2018

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 11:48 AM, Steven Kruyswijk <stevenkruyswijk at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Alright I've decided to give the RPi/Linux/Jack route another try... I have
> to say my progress is pretty slow though... the Mac Mini route still looks
> very enticing. Right now, I'm trying to understand this suggested line:
>
> jackd -I alsa-playback:zalsa_in/-dhw:CODEC_1 -dalsa -dhw:PCH -r48000
> -p1024
> -n2
>
> When I look up the man page for jackd at
> https://manpages.debian.org/testing/jackd1/jackd.1.en.html, this is the
> explanation for the -I parameter:

​Not much point quoting a lot of text when you've just given the link.
Anyway, I digress. The key line in the man page is:​

client-name:client-path/init-string

​so, if you told JACK

     -I foo:bar/baz

That means: create a client called "foo", by loading the internal client
from "bar" and give it "baz" as its initialization string.​

​So this:​

which I find really hard to relate to /alsa-playback:zalsa_in/-dhw:CODEC_1/

​means: create a client called "alsa-playback" by loading the "zalsa-in"
internal client, and give it an initialization string of "-dhw:CODEC_1".

The initialization string for internal clients is specific to each client,
but zalsa-in has most of its arguments in common with JACK itself. So
"-dhw:CODEC_1" means "use the device identified as "hw:CODEC_1". ​

> Can anyone please point me to a page where I can learn more about how to
> make a setup where Pure Data runs automatically after boot, connecting to
> more than one audio interface?

​I suggest you remain focused on gettings things working on a command line
before you try to set up a "Pd at boot system". You might prefer that all
these tools just worked without you having to understand too much about
them, but they don't. It will help you in the future to get a more solid
grasp of what is going on and how things work and cooperate.​

​