[LAU] reducing xruns (System configuration)

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Jul 19 22:44:35 CEST 2018

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Thu, 2018-07-19 at 20:55 +0200, Max wrote:
>> Thanks Jacek, After looking into this I ordered the docking station for
>> mz laptop as this USB 3.0 Port is onlz available through the dock. Good
>> find!
>
> To get a better house, somebody might need another load-bearing wall. To
> get a better load-bearing wall, somebody might need a wallpaper.
>
> Without doubts you need a load-bearing wall. You ordered a wallpaper,
> the load-bearing wall does or doesn't need a wallpaper to fit your
> taste, but you still didn't build the load-bearing wall, hence the
> wallpaper isn't very useful, if useful at all.

You are babbling.  The goal was to find a USB hub not serving other
clients.  And apparently the one best fitting the requirements was
routed to a docking station.

Another possibility would have been to use an Expresscard with USB 3
port(s).  Obviously, an Expresscard using the PCIe lane, not the USB
connection of an Expresscard slot which would be useless unless it met
the requirement not to serve other clients.  And the USB 3 ports would
be required not because of USB 3 speed but because an Expresscard with
USB 2 ports would be a whole lot more likely to use the USB connection
rather than the PCIe lane.

> As long as USB has got no rt priority, anything else unlikely will
> solve the issue.

A lot of people get setups like that to work without rtirq .

--
David Kastrup