[LAU] Remote mixers - open APIs

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Tue Jun 12 03:45:14 CEST 2018

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018, worik wrote:

> I am part of a community effort to buy a PA for band use.
>
> Being 2018 we will want remote mixing.  (Where a network take the place
> of a snake).
>
> I am nervous about buying gear that Apple or Microsoft will deprecate.
> Is there any body making remote mixers with open APIs that if they are
> abandoned by our corporate overlords  will still be useful?  Any
> experience building alternative controllers for remote mixers?
>
> Worik

Yes. The Behringer/Midas X32/M32 family of mixers is responsive to the
openly-documented OSC protocol.  I have owned an X32Rack for three years, and
happily prefer to control it with a 3rd party, independently developed Android
App called 'Mixing Station' rather than the Windows, OSX and iOS apps that the
manufacturer provides.
   Apparently, I'm not alone in my opinion, and the manufacturer took notice.  A
while ago, they introduced another line of smaller mixers, dubbed 'X Air', and
for them, they included an android 'official' app on their website.  Not
surprisingly, it looks and feels more like the X32 Mixing station than any
version of X32Edit for Win, iOS, or OSX.  I suspect they 'adopted' the developer
and contracted him to do the Xair version...
   Last time I looked, the X32 official website even mentions the existence of
Mixing Station, and refers Android users to find it on the Play store.

--
Rick Green

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
  Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
  that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
                        entitled to constitutional rights.

 			http://www.MoveToAmend.org