[LAU] Experiences with miniDSP AVB products ?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Oct 2 17:56:28 CEST 2018

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018, nik at parkellipsen.de wrote:

> Ohh ok, that'd work with the recent MOTU ? Interesting, that makes
> the Ultralite AVB worth a closer look. Would that mean i could, like,
> just attach an N-DAC 8 to the MOTU and see another 8 outputs in JACK ?
> Sorry if i sound a bit naive but i have no experience with network audio
> so far ...

Almost... before starting jack, maybe before plugging in the the
ultralite's USB even, connect the ndac. Then, using the web app on the
ultralite... uh, oh... Hmmm I guess that means you already need an AVB
type switch :) but anyway, using the web app, set up the ultralite to
accept the 8channel stream from the ndac which will make the utralite have
more or show more inputs. Now connect the ultralite to the computer and
the extra channels shoulld show.

Now I am not sure this is exactly right. The ultralite may show enough
channels all the time (there is a limit BTW). However, from reading the
manual, I get the idea that routing still must be performed and that ALSA
(via USB) can't do that. You need to use the web interface which uses the
same network port as the AVB network. So a minimal system is an ultralite
only works as audio interface and the network needs to be connected to
your computer. The next step to add one AVB endpoint requires an AVB hub
as well. So that would be three boxes for a minimal remote box system. In
my case, though I would love to experiment, it will remain on my todo list
for a long time yet :)  My legacy PCI interface will have to do.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net