[LAU] problem with zita-bridge to use two recording interfaces

soffioalcuore at posteo.net soffioalcuore at posteo.net
Fri Dec 20 13:49:53 CET 2019

hi Fons,

thanks for your reply!

Am Donnerstag, den 19.12.2019, 21:35 +0100 schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 11:32:44AM +0100, soffioalcuore at posteo.net
> wrote:
>
> > still concerned with the issue that zita-a2j doesn't work properly
> > on
> > my computers (I’ve also tried it with another machine, both run
> > arch
> > linux) I enabled zita-a2j in verbose mode which tells me:
> >
> > playback : not enabled
> > capture  :
> >   nchan  : 2
> >   fsamp  : 48000
> >   fsize  : 256
> >   nfrag  : 2
> >   format : S16_LE
> >
> > whilst "playback" is indicated to be disabled, "capture" lacks a
> > state,
> > at all.
>
> What do you mean by 'lacks a state' ?

I mean that in the verbose output above there’s nothing mentioned after
the entry "capture". but in the output you pasted below it’s the same,
so this obviously is the normal behaviour.

> Is there any output after the lines you quoted, like
>
> fons at zita1:~> zita-a2j -d hw:1,0 -v
> playback : not enabled
> capture  :
>   nchan  : 2
>   fsamp  : 48000
>   fsize  : 256
>   nfrag  : 2
>   format : S32_LE
> Starting synchronisation.
>   -0.151   1.000057     0
>   -0.007   1.000034   326
>   -0.053   1.000046   327
>   -0.114   1.000094   327
>    0.128   1.000019   328
>
> etc. ?

no, on both my computers there’s nothing printed after "Starting
synchronization".

> This problem is quite mysterious...
> I've got zita-j2a running on one of my machines at work, with
> a Digico 48-ch MADI interface for two months or so without
> interruption. Use it almost every day, no problems...
>
> > I have uninstalled zita-ajbridge, restartet and reinstalled, but
> > the
> > problem persists.
>
> Could you try jaaa -A or japa -A with the same sound card and
> see if you get any signal in or out ?

I tried japa with that soundcard (Zoom H4n with usb connection):

[christoph at x270 ~]$ japa -A -d hw:1
playback :
  nchan  : 2
  fsamp  : 48000
  fsize  : 1024
  nfrag  : 2
  format : S16_LE
capture  :
  nchan  : 2
  fsamp  : 48000
  fsize  : 1024
  nfrag  : 2
  format : S16_LE
synced
Connected to ALSA with 2 inputs and 2 outputs

from the speaker of the device I can hear constant noise and its meters
show constant input at around -10 db. in the little window which is
opened I can also see some movements in the diagram when I gently tap
the  device’s microphones. so, yes: there’s plenty of signal.

Maybe it’s related to my distribution, arch? I have no clue.
in alsamixer there’s nothing to adjust for the H4n, it says: this
device has no controls.

so, indeed mysterious.

> Ciao,

ciao & thanks & have a good day!