[LAU] sound with Scarlett 3rd Gen device?

Iain Mott mott at escuta.org
Thu Jan 30 12:38:34 CET 2020

Adding to that:

If in Windows, I plug in a mic into channel 1 and turn up the input
gain, the input LEDs respond as they should to incoming sound. I can
also in the Focusrite Control sodtware, map the input directly to the
monitor so that I I can hear it in the headphones. If I then reboot the
laptop, the LED and routing continue to function until the machine loads
the Grub system boot page, whereupon the LED stops functioning and the
monitoring of the mic also stops. The mic channel remains unresponsive
when Linux is booted. This is a bit worrying as I had read for earlier
generations that the control routing set in Windows is remembered by the
Scarlett once in Linux (and presumably after switching the box on and off).

The F6 button in alsamixer shows "Scarlett 18i20 USB", however once
selected, for capture/input, it says something to the effect of: this
device has no input/capture controller. For reproduction/playback it
lists only S/PDIF but with no fade controler.

Hope someone can help!

Iain