[LAU] [solved!!!] Multichannel playback

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 16:55:26 CEST 2021

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina at gmail.com> writes:

>> It is a sort of experiment.  Suppose you have a multi channel audio file,
>> i.e.  composed by, say, three, or four different channels.  Is it possibile
>> (I guess it is), and how?, to send each of the four channels into a
>> different loudspeaker and so listen to the song...?  Do you think, e.g., the
>> Behringer UMC404HD audio interface will allow to do that?
>

> I bought the Behringer UMC404HD and plugged three loudspeakers into the
> `Playback Outputs' set on the back of it.
>
> [...]
>
> I begin to believe and be afraid that what I want is not technically possible
> at least with that piece of hardware.  Please help on this issue you experts
> out there: is it possible and how to do what I want, and is it possible at
> all with an audio interface as my Behringer either with some other device...?

It works...!!!

That's what I did:

1) I plugged the Behringer into the mains;

2) I connected the Behringer to the PC via Behringer's USB cable;

3) I plugged 3 amplified loudspeaker (could also be not amplified but then
   sound is low) into 3 of the 4 black holes (the TRS ones, but it could be ok
   also with the RCA ones, I didn't try yet) of the `PLAYBACK OUTPUTS' system
   on the back of the Behringer;

4) from my Linux box I did:

   $ ecasound -f:16,3,44100 -i:sndfile,3canali.wav -o alsaplugin,2,0

   where `3canali.wav' is a 3-channels file.

And voilĂ : each of the 3 loudspeakers play a different channel of the 3
channels composing `3canali.wav'.  There don't seem to be any issue with
Behringer's controls: the `MAIN OUT' and `MIX' knobs can be whatever, such as
the `STEREO/MONO' switch (so it seems).

Thanks to each and all that helped...!

Cheers

Rodolfo