[LAU] Face or person tracking with a camera

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Thu Jul 1 23:55:17 CEST 2021

On Thu, Jul 01, 2021 at 08:26:58PM +0200, Jeanette C. wrote:
> A friend of mine is looking for a simple way to track herself with a
> camera for lessons. I have seen that there are gadgets which can
> recognise a face and so track a person with a camera. Having no
> experience with that, at all, myself, I thought it best to find
> knowledgeable advice.

I don't count as "knowledgeable" here, but in case helpful: some drones
have "follow me" technology.  I.e. their firmware contains
object-tracking algorithms optimised for locking-on to, and then
following, a selected person.  Earlier drones used a GPS tether.

Links to various discussions of these features:

https://www.dronezon.com/drone-reviews/best-follow-me-gps-mode-drone-technology-reviewed/

https://store.dji.com/guides/camera-drone-that-follows-you/

https://www.thedronegirl.com/2020/12/09/best-follow-me-drone/

https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/blog/dji-phantom-drone-uav-quadcopter-gps-tracker-tracking-device

I realise that drones aren't ideal if your friend is filming her lessons
indoors!  But it's a market segment that has seen a lot of investment in
tracking people with cameras to achieve satisfying cinematography.  And
some drones might be viable indoors, perhaps?  Especially in a large
room such as a performance venue, if available.

For non-aerial solutions, maybe the following would be a starting point?
https://opensource.com/article/20/1/object-tracking-camera-raspberry-pi

Good luck to your friend!

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.