[LAU] Choirless - a new low-latency AI remote music collaboration platform

Brandon Hale bthaleproductions at gmail.com
Tue May 11 16:37:07 CEST 2021

Hey all,

I manage Jamulus servers and facilitate it as a platform at the
university I work at.

Jamulus can be pretty good for low latency operation, granted you have a
good audio interface. For us Linux users, we can crank Jack's
Frames/Period setting down low to get more decent latency.

Jamulus's latency also depends on the server, since all users connect to
a server and the server sends the other's audio streams to you. If the
server is close and has fast network speed, you can get lower latencies.
With Jamulus, you get each individuals' channels in your own personal
mixer, allowing each person to mix the way they want to hear the current
ensemble. The cool part of Jamulus is you can run your own server,
allowing for better privacy of your audio data. You can also record your
jams and it will produce a reaper project file that you can later open
and mix.

I like to think of Jamulus as the instant messenger of audio. It's easy
to get into a room and start jamming, but you may have to play with the
settings and your hardware setups to achieve really great low latency
performances.

I hope this helps with any fuzzy parts of Jamulus,

Brandon Hale