[LAU] Audio Drop-outs and JACK Errors - Seeking Assistance

David Klann dxklann at pm.me
Tue May 11 16:50:59 CEST 2021

Greetings John,

Thanks for your speedy reply!

On 5/11/21 09:10, you wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2021 13:26:17 +0000 David Klann wrote:
>
>> Hi Linux Audio Enthusiasts!
>
> Hi David,
>
> [...]
>
>> I start jackd (as Linux user 'root') with the command:
>>
>> /usr/bin/jackd --realtime --name default -d dummy -r 48000
>
> My hunch is that this could be the problem. I seem to remember
> it being said here that it should not be started by user 'root'.
>
> I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong,
> but maybe try starting it as an unprivileged user. or explain why
> you start it as root?

Arrgh. Unfortunately, I have no control over this one aspect of the
system. This is a Rivendell radio automation system
(https://rivendellaudio.org/) and the way in which Rivendell is
currently coded, jackd *must* run as root. I have dug into the Rivendell
C++ code to determine the reason for this, and I have learned that it is
a core part of Rivendell. Changing this would require a significant
refactoring of the code.

Hey, wait! I just re-read the jackd manual page and noticed the
paragraph about $JACK_PROMISCUOUS_SERVER. Does this mean I can run jackd
as a non-root user as long as the group permissions line up?

Also, since my original posting, I have been digging in deeper to the
values I am using for --period (1024), --nperiods (2), and --rate
(48000), and their relation to the latency setting on the Dante network.
The sample rate is governed by the Dante network, but I can change the
period size and the number of periods.

I intend on fiddling with these as soon as possible. This computer is
actually in production, keeping radio station WRFI, Ithaca, NY, US on
the air, so we have to plan ahead to make changes to Rivendell.

Thanks again John!

   ~David